Monday, October 2, 2017

Indigo Dyeing

i have started doing experiments with natural dyes. I decided to use natural indigo and the 123 method of preparing a vat. I prepared a mini vat in a large bottle and dyed cotton pieces, silk pieces, watercolour paper and cotton threads. I was really happy with the result as I have not prepared this type of vat before.

I took a photo of my results using the various fibres.  I plan to use the pieces to make a Dye Journal and to do some boro type stitching.



cheers

Rebecca




5 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing what you produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love to know/ learn how to set up a natural indigo vat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn will be documenting the process shortly.

      Delete
  3. so you made a bottle of indigo and then diluted to use for larger pieces??

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I didn’t I found I could put fat quarters A5 paper in my jar. If I want to dye bigger pieces I will make a bigger vat I.e. increase the amount of indigo fructose lime and use a bucket.

    ReplyDelete